Since the requirement for face coverings on public transport came into effect on the 8th June 2020, the government has issued advice on who does not have to wear masks. Included on the list are:
- children under 11 years old
- those who would find putting on, wearing or taking off a mask distressing
- those who have a physical or mental condition that means they cannot put on a mask
- anyone with learning disabilities or autism
- those who communicate by lip reading
The full guidance on face coverings for public transport, including a full list of who is exempt, is available on the government’s website at this link.
The Hertfordshire Local Offer, who provide information for children and young people aged 0-25 with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities and their families, have some cards to prove exemption available to download on their website - link. The cards are specifically for those with learning disabilities, autism, breathing problems, disabilities, who use lip reading to communicate, or have other health conditions that make them exempt.